Travel Day Home to Tennessee from Berlin, Germany

March 20 2014

Today was a long travel day home from our visit to Berlin, Germany. We got up at 6 am, finished packing, had some coffee and headed upstairs with our bags. We wanted to get upstairs in time to say goodbye to Sean and the kids before they left for work and school. It was sad to say goodbye as we really had a nice time here and the entire family was just so good to us. Love our Cahill family!

Danielle took Nancy and I to the airport this morning. Tiffani accompanied us. We stopped at a bakery on the way to get some coffee and baked treats 🙂 Dani dropped us at the Air Berlin terminal B at Berlin’s Tegel Airport (TXL) Goodbye hugs to Dani and Tiffani 🙁

Check-in went smooth and our gate was right behind check-in. No walking – yes! A short wait and we were loading up. This Air Berlin flight would take us all the way to Chicago’s O’Hare airport. A 9 hour flight. Really nice plane. Newer and modern with screens in each seatback in all classes. The screens allowed us to access music, music videos, movies, documentaries and TV shows. Tons of content. Nancy watched a couple movies and I watched nearly all of season 2 of Breaking Bad. A show I’d heard about but never watched. Um – intense 🙂

We landed at O’Hare early afternoon. Took forever to wait in the customs line due to only 2 employees working the lines. Luggage was fine. We rechecked it immediately for our next flight, later in the evening for Knoxville. Within an hour, our friends, Ed and Alice F were at O’Hare picking us up for dinner.

We ate nearby at the Hofbräuhaus Chicago in Rosemont. More German food! Why not? Good food, good beer and good company.
photo 2

My meal.  Ed had the same.  Meat plate :)
My meal. Ed had the same. Meat plate 🙂

After dinner, we walked to nearby Five Roses Pub for drinks. We also shared a piece of bread pudding. Yum.

Good times with good friends.
Good times with good friends.

Ed and Alice dropped us back at O’Hare where we boarded our last flight and pushed into Knoxville. Upon arrival, I called the airport La Quinta Inn and got us a room and a shuttle. We were in bed by 11:30 pm. Almost 24 hours from the time we got out of bed the day before 🙂

Similar Posts


Comments are closed.